게시판 section

The Growing Influence of AP Scores on College Admissions

페이지 정보

23-07-15 09:25

본문

The Growing Influence of AP Scores on College Admissions

In the past, the English A Level testing system and the international school International Baccalaureate system (or just the "full IB," based in Geneva) have gained growing respect from US university admissions officers for their greater rigor and more complete picture of student accomplishment, since they require an array of subjects tested. Such tests are, like the AP tests in the US, about equal in level to 1st year university courses, and the original name of the AP tests, the Advanced Placement tests, attests to that earlier--at first, usually 12th-grade offering--history. Private high schools realized that such tests--whether IBs, A Levels, or APs--really helped students stand out among other applicants in university admissions. With the Covid-19 induced fazing out of the SAT II Subject Tests, the writing section of the SAT I, and the temporary optional requirement of the ACT and SAT I tests, the increased importance of the APs came into its own. In fact, Oxford and Cambridge English universities consider candidates with IB scores of 44 or 45 only, out of 45 highest score possible. These two historical English educational institutions don't really consider much else other than these A Level tests or IB tests. Since the AP tests (and A Levels and the IB tests) are essentially 1st year college courses, they are a far better predictor of university success too, many universities have stated. It's hard to tell how long this dominance of the AP test scores will last, within the vacuum of the lack of SAT II Subject Tests, the elimination of the writing section of the SAT I (and ACT essay being optional), and the lawsuit against the University of California campuses not permitting them to accept (at least officially) the SAT I scores, and some universities still considering SAT I scores optional (begun during the Covid-19 years). This may all be temporary, or it may become the new normal.